September Yoga Pose of the Month- Tree Pose
Tree Pose (Vrksasana)
- Start in Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
- Bring your palms together at heart center.
- Root down through the four corners of your right foot and engage your right quadricep and your core
- Slowly lift your left leg and bring the sole of the foot either above OR below your right knee. *Never on your knee!!
- Inhale and lengthen through the crown of your head. Find your drishti (focal point) directly in front of you and keep it at a soft gaze.
- Take five deep breaths here
- You can choose any arm variation such as raising your arms over your head, keeping it in prayer or separated (but remember to keep the alignment of your shoulders)
- Slowly release your arms back to heart center and release the left leg. Repeat on the right side.
Benefits of Tree Pose
- Promotes balance, grounding and centering
- Helps you gain both physical and mental steadiness and confidence
- Regular practice will improve your focus and your ability to concentrate in all areas of your life.
- Stretches the thighs, groins, torso, and shoulders
- Builds strength in the ankles and calves, and tones the abdominal muscles